Wednesday, April 22, 2009

It's Earth Day


Here's my earth day resolution: It's time to break out the canvas bags. I have tons of them, but all too often I forget to take them with me. Not anymore. No more plastic bags for me.

Here's some eye opening tweets I got from C. Lee McKenzie yesterday.

  • Did you know: only 1% of plastic bags are recycled? It costs more to recycle them than to make new ones.
  • 1 person uses 24 bags/mo., 288 bags/yr., 22,176 bags/lifetime. Yuck.
  • 8 million lbs. of plastic goes into the oceans /year (Nat'l Geographic)
Thanks for making me change my ways, Lee.
By the way, the photo is called Earthrise and was taken by the Apollo 8 astronauts.

4 comments:

cleemckenzie said...

wow, wow, and wow!

love the picture and love the spreading of the word. maybe all these tweets and blogs will do some real good after all.

nanmarino said...

Twenty two thousand bags in a lifetime! That one really got to me.

Anonymous said...

I love that shot taken by astronaut Bill Anders! It's the perfect one to keep in mind, as Earth Day should be every day.

nanmarino said...

Isn't it an awesome picture? It's one of my all time favorites.