Friday, May 28, 2010

The Party's Over: and How I Learned to Howl at the Moon.


I never howled at the moon before. Not really.  
Oh sure, to celebrate my book's release, I tried my best to channel my main character (or her best friend) and I went outside and I arroooed.  It was hardly what you'd expect. At their best, they were the quiet, respectable, "arrooos" of a person who is way too worried about what the neighbors would think.
I was there the day my librarian friends did a podcast.  While they were able to celebrate my book by howling in a spirited, carefree way, I sat there, watching. When they arroooed, I mouthed the word.  I can't help it. There are still too many times when I'm shy and quiet.
But last night, I had the contest.  And so many people promised to howl at the moon. My editor tweeted about it.  Blueboarder, Vijaya Bodach, blogged about it. Heck, Mike Jung promised to take a video,
There was a rainstorm. They're not fun events here. My dog, Chi, barks at every single flash of lightning.  There's nothing more stressful than watching your German Shepherd-sized dog freak out at a storm.  But it ended, and even though I couldn't see the moon, I went outside..and I arroooed.  A tiny whimpy arrooo.
At least I could say I did it.
I went inside, wondering why that was the best I could muster. It's not even like I have neighbors around. I live on a street filled with summer cottages. While this weekend, the summer people will come out in droves, last night the only people around was my eighty-year-old neighbor (and she would be totally cool about this).
I waited.
I checked twitter.
I tried to read.
I went outside one last time.
The sky was brighter, especially this one spot. I couldn't see anything because of the house next door. So I ran upstairs and looked out the window.
The moon was framed with clouds.
After the storm, it was wonderful to see. Perfect. Peaceful. Reassuring. I love the moon.
I howled. 
It was loud.
And the next time, it was louder.
They sounded so real my dog ran up the stairs and stood by my side.
So for the first time in my life, I arroooed.
Thanks to everyone who joined me.

My librarian friends will be randomly picking the contest winners today.  I'll post the results tonight.

Having some problems with the computer tonight. Will post in the morning. Sorry for the delay.


5 comments:

S.A. Larsenッ said...

I love this, and so glad the clouds parted ways for you. Thanks for sharing. Enjoy your long weekend.

Vijaya said...

You're lucky you saw the moon. No such luck where I live -- thick clouds, pouring rain. But the puppy barked I couldn't help making my own puny Arroooos. Didn't want to wake up the family. So, the almost-full-moon was a gift.

nanmarino said...

salarsenッ
Have a great weekend also
Vijaya, puny Arrooos count too. Sorry the sky didn't cooperate.

Deb said...

Happy Memorial Day, Nan...as for our moon, it was covered in SNOW, lol...I swear, Spring in Alberta....aaarooooOOOOoo.

nanmarino said...

Deb, Snow?!!! That's crazy!! But it must have been pretty.