Thursday, October 1, 2009

Banned Book Week: Quotes from Challenged and Banned Books


A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone. ~Jo Godwin

I seem to be collecting quotes from everywhere these days. Here are a few from some of my favorite banned/challenged books:

"Our people made that choice, the choice to go to Sameness. Before my time, before the previous time, back and back and back. We relinquished color when we relinquished sunshine and did away with difference. We gained control of many things. But we had to let go of others." Lois Lowry,
The Giver

"It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.

"I am not nice. I am brilliant. I am famous across this entire country. Nobody wants to tangle with the great Galadriel Hopkins. I am too clever and too hard to manage." Katherine Patterson, The Great Gilly Hopkins.

"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience." Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird.

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." Dr Seuss, The Lorax

No comments: