Monday, September 14, 2009
I Like to Pretend...(What some forty-somethings, an 11 year-old and a youthful 83 year -old have to say about the subject)
Pretending is different than wishing. It allows you to visit an imaginary place, sample what's there and then head back to your real life.
This weekend I was talking with one of my favorite 11-year-olds about it. Soon, her mom joined in the conversation and then my mom joined in. Then another friend joined in too.
Here's our list of things we like to pretend. See if you can tell which ones are from the 11-year-old, which ones are from my 83-year-old mother and which ones came from the forty-somethings. It's harder than you think.
I like to pretend that...
* I know how to play the piano
* the crumpled-up lottery ticket I found on the bottom of my book bag is a winner
*I'm an exchange student from Spain
* worries are carried off on dandelion seeds
* I'm a professional fashion designer/organic cosmetics maker/perfume maker
* I'm actually a wizard but my parents are anti-magic muggles who denied me my rightful education at Hogwarts, but I discover my true heritage and land a job working at Hogwarts as a groundskeeper with Hagrid and take night classes where I master the most difficult potions and spells and win the undying devotion of Severus Snape.
* there's a famous Hollywood producer reading a certain book right now and thinking "this would be a great movie"
* I'm at a Frank Sinatra concert
* candy really is health food, especially the "Hot Tamales"
*I'm having a cup of tea with my grandmother
* I'm a famous dancer
* I always know which direction I'm going